Tj Host

Wedding Ideas & Inspiration
DIY Boho Wedding Dress | Under $50

DIY Boho Wedding Dress | Under $50


Hi everyone! To be honest, it wasn’t easy
transforming this simple dress, but I think it looks pretty good. It’s been awhile since
I designed or used my sewing machine, so it took me some time to get back into it. If
you didn’t get a chance to check out what the dress and initial design sketch looked
like, click this link in the upper right hand corner or down below. At the end of the video,
Let me know if I nailed the design compared to the sketch! I would love to hear your opinions! To start, I have to remove the elastic to
flatten out the dress and then separate the bodice from the skirt. In order to do this,
the waistband needed to be seam ripped and then cut to remove the elastic. Once removed, I figured it was easier to just cut the bodice from the skirt, verses keeping the seam allowance.
It was so hard to tell where the lace started and the stitches started. And I didn’t want
to rip open the lace. To be honest, it was so weird cutting this
dress up! I was cringing as I was cutting it. After trying on the bodice, I needed to add another strip to the bottom. It ended up being way too short but it looked good as a crop
top! Taking the extra fabric from the skirt, I drafted a pattern to add 3 inches. This
gives me room to attach the skirt at my natural waist. I used the existing curve of the bodice to
draft my curve to keep it the same, just longer. Then I cut the pattern from the skirt fabric and baste stitched the front liner to the lace. This keeps the two fabrics in check,
no movement when I attach it to the bodice. Next, I seam ripped about an inch of the bodice
side seams, attached the extra panels, sewed the side seams, and then finished off the
all seams with the serger for a clean look. I decided not to deepened the V in the back
to save time plus, it looked just fine the way it was. I definitely wanted to keep this
simple! Now onto the skirt pattern. I would’ve loved
to show you how I drafted the half circle skirt pattern, but my room is way too small
and the camera couldn’t film enough of the pattern to make sense. So here’s a little
drawing instead! If you’re trying to draft a circle skirt, I definitely recommend googling
circle skirt calculations. There are a few free websites that let you plug in your waist
measurement and skirt length and it will figure out what your radius should be. This makes
it ten times easier! I need to draft two patterns for mine. A liner
pattern and a chiffon pattern. For the liner pattern, my radius needed to be 9 3/8 in,
so I measured out from my 90 degree angle and then used my ruler to draw the circle.
I then measured out the skirt length and added seam allowance. It was the same process for
my chiffon pattern but my radius there was 19 inches. That’s about 2 times the fabric
for gathering. Since my fabric was only about 48 wide, I
needed to cut the pattern down in half and cut on the fold. So that means that I need
2 liner pieces and 4 chiffon pieces, verses half of that. I pinned the pattern onto the fabric and then
cut. For the bow, I just cut a long rectangular
strip, 7 inches wide and about 4 yards long. I’ll have to finish off the edges but that’s
about it! I lined up and pinned the liner pieces and
sewed both side seams, then I finished off the seams with the serger. I lined up, pinned, and serged all the seams of the chiffon together. Instead of sewing, I just serged my seams for a cleaner and simpler look plus it saves so much time! Once that’s done, I gathered the waist at the seam allowance with a basting stitch, Leaving about an inch gap. Now I start gathering. Gently and slowly
gathering the fabric, otherwise it could get stuck. I then lined up the side seams of the chiffon to those of the liner, wrong side of chiffon to the right side of liner. Basically exactly how it’s supposed to look. Then I evenly spaced out the gathers to fill the waistline of the liner. Pinned that into place and sew. Now with the right sides together, I lined
up the side seams, center front and back, to the bodice. Pinned, sewed, and finished
the edges. Flip the seam allowance up from the skirt and then sew onto the bodice. This gives the skirt and bodice a little more structure and the is where I will be attaching the elastic. So this wasn’t part of the plan, but I
decided to add some lace details to hide the panel and give the dress some character. I
attached and combined two different lace ribbons using a zig zag stitch and it looks perfect! Since I ran out of normal corded elastic,
I am using this elastic strap instead. Measured my waist to my desired fit, and then attached it to the back of the bodice at seam of the skirt with a basic zig zag stitch. Once that’s done, I finished off my hem
with the serger and the dress is complete! Subscribe and give this video a thumbs up if you liked it and want to see more thrifted wedding dresses! Also follow me on Instagram
for future giveaways and behind the scenes sneak peeks! Thank you so much for watching and I’ll
see you next week! Bye!

18 comments found

  1. Wow, beautiful job sweetie, so proud of you. Keep up the great work. And I enjoy how you explain what you're doing throughout the video, great job with that as well. Looking forward to seeing more videos.😍🎉🔥💥🎊💣

  2. So beautiful ! It's looking so easy to do, you're so gifty ! I love your ideas, your chanel and all the musics you choose. Actually love all ! 😉. Thanks from France ! 😘

Leave comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *.